Friday, April 13, 2012

TJ Maxx

Last week I was shopping at TJ Maxx and at the counter I saw they had reusable bags for sale. I saw a design that I really liked, so of course I bought it. It then made me think if this company was trying to go green. I actually had the lady put my belongings in my reusable bag so that she could save the paper bags. It was just one less thing for me to throw away and for me to use next time. Above is an image of the exact bag that I bought found on http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=933&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=nYlRKPWIsPKI2M:&imgrefurl=http://mysisterssuitcase.blogspot.com/2012/03/easter-egg-hunt-abc-eggs-at-its.html&docid=BGnMbQiAkCdRoM&imgurl=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgZnzPKOofRdk1GNU5WfIoAEHkawrBDiuqQPBNtK5t9QXbjRdf_0ckNZ57vA6teUEt7JGOH4ti5023RVQ6IbYixgjZQ7XgrRzCfeJGiiAet5hUi1w1zrlqcJcns_5DP4Gd0RXGnXJJ7eYpw/s1600/TJ%252BMaxx%252Bshopping%252Bbag.jpg&w=678&h=907&ei=WECIT_LXJYfg2AWmgKHLCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=720&vpy=511&dur=1045&hovh=260&hovw=194&tx=96&ty=147&sig=106795500691874847226&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=105&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:29,s:0,i:132

However, when researching this I found that TJ Maxx and the sister companies of it, Marshall’s, Homegoods, and Bob’s is taking the efforts to green. The main ways they are doing this is by reducing fuel, using better lighting, and recycling cardboard. According to TJX.com, they reduce fuel by loading the trucks to the fullest and also they send their goods sometimes on the railroad. When TJ Maxx sends stuff to stores, their trucks are as full as can be. They do not want one trip to be wasted. According to their research, it saves emissions to send some things via railroad. In the TJ Maxx and sister stores, they use a lighting that uses 50% less energy than non-fluorescent according to How 10 Major Companies Go Green. The last way the company is going green is by recycling the cardboard that the clothes and products come in (How 10 Major Companies Go Green). This is a help instead of throwing it away. TJ Maxx and its sister stores are doing small things that are making our environment become more green.

http://www.tjx.com/corporate_environmental_emissions.asp

http://www.press8.com/going-green/402-10-major-companies-go-green

4 comments:

  1. Dear Marleigh,
    First of all, I adore the bag you bought. I was even pleased to find out it was a reusable bag. I love those moments when I’m shopping and I find out the one thing I want is a recyclable item; it makes me feel like I’m helping out in my own way. I think it’s great that TJ Maxx and its adjoining companies are all pitching in to be eco-friendly. When you said, “I actually had the lady put my belongings in my reusable bag so that she could save the paper bags,” I thought that was a great idea and I really want to start doing that rather than using plastic bags. It’s amazing how many bags I have in my room but I have no use for them. I think your last statement, “TJ Maxx and its sister stores are doing small things that are making our environment become more green,” was a great summary of what we all can be doing - helping out in small ways. I thought this was neat topic that you brought up and I want that bag! Thanks for posting.
    Sincerely,
    Jazmin Ruvalcaba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marleigh,

    It is always good to see a company going green that is in the town that we live in. I think it is awesome that TJMaxx and their sister stores are making a huge effort of going green by reducing fuel, using better lighting, and recycling the cardboard they use to hold their products.

    “Last week I was shopping at TJ Maxx and at the counter I saw they had reusable bags for sale”. This really stuck out to me because the only places that I have really seen recyclable bags are at grocery stores. This is really surprising to me, but I guess you can use these bags anywhere and not just at TJMaxx.

    “TJ Maxx and its sister stores are doing small things that are making our environment become more green”. Like I said earlier it is always great to see local stores trying to make a difference. Even the little things can make a difference, and that is exactly what the TJMaxx and sister stores are doing.

    Thank you so much for writing this blog. I love the personal connection to it, and the research that you did. I will continue to come back to your blogs to read more on corporations and the environment.

    Katelyn Ratliff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marleigh,
    I love that you found a company that many of us shop at that is actually going green. I've never heard of the reusable bags before now. Thats so cool that something so simple can have such a big impact. One thing that really stood out to me is when you said that "when researching this I found that TJ Maxx and the sister companies of it, Marshall’s, Homegoods, and Bob’s is taking the efforts to green." I think its great that now only TJ Maxx is going green but also its sister companies are joining in on the efforts. With this many companies joining together for a great cause imagine what would happen if other companies did the same. I strongly agree that if people or companies have the chance to use more fuel efficient vehicles then they should use the opportunity. One thing that really stood out to me that touched on this subject was when you said "When TJ Maxx sends stuff to stores, their trucks are as full as can be. They do not want one trip to be wasted. According to their research, it saves emissions to send some things via railroad." I never would have though rail roads would be a good useful means of transportation. I really enjoyed reading your blog and that it was something different. Escpecially since I'm obsessed with shopping this showed me that by buying the reusable bags I'm benefiting not only me but the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marleigh,
    I love TJ Maxx! It is good to hear that the company and its sister stores are trying to go green!
    It really stood out to me that the company is starting to sell reusable bags. The next time I go shopping I will get one. They will save a lot of plastic sacks from ending up in the land fill.
    Based off of the information given, I agree with you when you point out that TJ Maxx and the sister stores are working towards being more eco friendly. All of the little things that the company is doing adds up to really help the environment and serve as a role model for other companies.
    Thank you so much for posting about this subject! It is good to hear that some companies are changing for the better!
    Kelsey Lamb

    ReplyDelete